Schipluiden is a place in the Dutch municipality of Midden-Delfland (Province of South Holland). The name is mentioned for the first time in the mid-twelfth century. It is derived from the river Leede, which was navigable at Schipluiden. Several place names in the area refer to Leede.
In Harnaschpolder in Schipluiden in the summer of 2003, the oldest permanent settlement excavated in the Netherlands. In the period from 3600 BC. to 3300 BC. (Younger Stone Age) people lived here on a dune of 150 by 50 meters, which was one to two meters high. The village was fenced to keep out stray cattle, and residents grew barley and bucket.
Ten Z.O. Schipluiden a castle has stood until 1798. The Castle of Castle keensburg was in the 15th century with a moat around it. In the 17th century residential castle was enlarged and later there were still two turrets on. On the Gaag was also a gateway. The wrought-iron gate of this is sold after the demolition of the castle and is now somewhere in Wassenaar.Schipluiden in the 21st century
Schipluiden until January 1, 2004 an independent municipality, then it is merged with the municipality Maasland in the new municipality of Midden-Delfland. Before merging the town Schipluiden had three residential areas: Schipluiden, Den Hoorn and it Woudt. The municipality Schipluiden was greatly expanded over the years; in 1819 with the municipality 's Woudt, in 1855 with the municipalities Hodenpijl and Sint Maartensregt in 1921 with part of Hof van Delft (with parts of the former municipalities of High and Forest Harnasch and Groeneveld and in 1941 with a part of Vlaardingerambacht. The last crown was appointed mayor of Schipluiden Marja van Bijsterveldt made a big impression in Schipluiden and became party chairman of the CDA and later as minister.
A lovely quiet village where time seems to stand still. Nowadays some nice new things: Indigo Restaurant, Outside Hodenpijl and Hip angel dress Evita.
Also, every year a magnificent village festival that continues all week.
The core of Schipluiden is distributed by the Vlaardingervaart. In the village there are two bridges to traffic that connects the two sides together. On the north side of the water lies the district Rosemary, on the south side include the districts keensburg and Bijsterveld.
The (extended) A4 runs east of the village. The Gaag Aqueduct can be found here.
Zweth is a district, which was once a separate hamlet.
No houses available in this district.
No company properties available in this district.
Sell or buy in this neighbourhood?